Ni Wumpf Gottlieb Sys. 1 MARK II CPU Board
Gottlieb® System 1 CPU Board - Ni Wumpf MARK II model
New MARK II design, plug and play replacement for those unreliable, unobtainable, un-repairable old Gottlieb System 1 pinball machine main computer boards.
The wizards at Ni-Wumpf (an inside joke for Monty Python aficionados) created this new, half size computer.
This new MARK II board is a plug-in replacement and upgrade for the original GOTTLEIB System 1 CPU board. It supports all of the games in the platform series, and provides considerable diagnostic capability for the technician when troubleshooting where a game may be malfunctioning. The entire game software has been re-written with an emphasis on maintaining the timing and compatibility of the original board, however with quite a bit more functionality added in:
- Direct replacement of the original System1 board.
- Enhanced switch input circuitry prevents damage to the board from playfield wiring issues.
- All game code completely re-written (with some minor original Gottlieb® glitches omitted!)
- Text based diagnostics menu system allows operator settings (previously set via DIP switches) to be entered via front door switches.
- Tests cycle repeatedly (until timeout) to help isolate faults.
- Enhanced use of high reliability surface-mount components with off-the-shelf thru-hole components at the edge for ease of serviceability.
- Display test to exercise all digit segments (numbers), and to strobe each digit independently to check for display (UDN6118) shorts.
- Solenoid test exercises each coil including lamp controlled coils (when DIP switch configuration set for such a game)
- Enhanced switch test identifies stuck switches.
- Power-up code revision and game setting displayed for quick diagnostic configuration identification. Switch test detects dirty switches on the playfield.
- All 16 System 1 games are included on one board with no ROM swapping required.
- Original MPU functions have been closely duplicated and many new features added including:
Free game mode
Updated game options for many games to allow add-a-ball mode (multiple free-balls awarded during a single ball) where the playfield challenge is reset once after scoring the free-ball / special.
Menu options to disable add-a-ball (for operators who requested it!)
Automatic scoring threshold adjustment.
Million point scoring.
Idle mode animation.
Skill shot option.
Four high scores memory.
Restore factory-settings option for quick reset of settings.
- Open-collector output logic with zener diode protection for all solenoid circuits and lamp select lines to prevent CPU damage from a damaged driver board.
- Battery-less operation - all settings and high-score data are stored in FLASH with >100,000 write cycles.
- Designed for low-cost component repair and maintenance on I/O sensitive components (exposed to bad displays / bad driver boards, etc.)
- Stuck switches are ignored and do not impair game operation, including the slam switch!
Here is the comprehensive manual detailing set up, operation, diagnostics, and schematics. Includes a 30-day warranty.
Works in ALL of the following machines:
- BUCK ROGERS
- CHARLIE'S ANGELS
- CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
- INCREDIBLE HULK
- JOKER POKER
- PINBALL POOL
- ROLLER DISCO
- SOLAR RIDE
Ni-Wumpf CPU manual is here.
Additional technical support for the NiWumpf board is available here.