PINSCORE Power Supply with HV WMS 6A-11B
The PinScore PJ-8345-HV pinball power supply replaces broken, failing, or missing power supplies in Williams System 6a. 7, 9, 11, 11a, and some 11b pinball machines. The PJ-8345-HV is engineered from the ground up with modern technologies and manufacturing techniques. Built around new switching power supply technology, PinScore power supplies boast nearly twice the efficiency and half the heat output of the original late 1970s and 1980s-era designs found in the affected pinball machines.
New safety features such as short-circuit and over-temperature protection increase reliability and protect your game from other faults. Extra power output enables your machine to effortlessly run game upgrades such as LED displays. As a drop-in replacement, the PJ-8345-HV includes everything you need to replace your game's power supply - no soldering or engineering experience required!
The PJ-8345-HV is a complete replacement for the original power supply, for powering both the game electronics and high-voltage displays.
- Plug ?n Play installation; no soldering required
- Increased efficiency over original power supplies
- New switching regulator technology engineered for efficiency and reliability
- Higher output to effortlessly power game upgrades
- No-solder drop-in replacement - No soldering or experience required
- LED status indicators for easy troubleshooting
- 5-year warranty
- Made in the USA
5V Switched Regulator Power Supply
The main 5-volt DC linear power supply has been replaced and completely redesigned with cool, reliable switched-regulator power supply technology used in modern computers. Thanks to high efficiency and little waste heat, switched regulators require no large metal heat sinks. This is an eco-friendly, "green" power supply that keeps your backbox internal temperature cooler and lowers your machine's overall power consumption. With new short-circuit protection, an errant screwdriver or a fault in the 5-volt circuit will not harm the power supply.
|Specification||PJ-8345-HV||Original Power Supply|
|Peak Current||8 Amps||4 Amps|
|Peak Power||40 Watts||20 Watts|
|Continuous Current||6 Amps||3 Amps|
|Continuous Power||30 Watt||15 Watts|
|Short Circuit Protection||Yes||No|
|LED Status Indicators||Yes||No|
|1||PJ-8345-HV||PinScore PJ-8345-HV Pinball Power Supply|
|4||4006-01003-05||6-32 x 5/16? Machine Screw|
The PJ-8345-HV is a drop-in replacement for Williams System 3, 4, and 6 games and shuffle alleys:
Alley Cats, Banzai Run, Barracora, Big Guns, Big Strike, Black Knight, Comet, Cosmic Gunfight, Cyclone, Defender, F-14 Tomcat, Fire!, Firepower 2, Gold Mine, Grand Lizard, High Speed, Hyperball, Joust, Jungle Lord, Laser Cue, Millionaire, Pharraoh, Pinbot, Road Kings, Solar Fire, Sorcerer, Space Shuttle, Space Station, Star Light, Strike Zone, Swords of Fury, Tic Tac Strike, Time Fantasy, Triple Strike, Warlock
- Installation time: about 10 minutes.
- Tools required: ¼? nutdriver and/or Phillips screwdriver (varies by game).
|Alley Cats Shuffle||20 SB|
|Big Strike Shuffle||--|
|Black Knight||20 SB|
|Defender Pinball||10 SB|
|F-14 Tomcat||4 SB|
|Gold Mine Shuffle||--|
|Grand Lizard||10 SB|
|High Speed||2.5 SB|
|Jungle Lord||20 SB|
|Road Kings||2.5 SB|
|Solar Fire||20 SB|
|Strike Zone Shuffle||--|
|Swords Of Fury||--|
|Tic Tac Strike Shuffle||--|
|Time Fantasy||10 SB|
|Triple Strike Shuffle||--|
- Open your game.
- Unplug the main power from your pinball machine.
- Carefully remove the game backglass (Check owner?s manual for specific instructions) and open the backbox door to reveal the game?s electronics.
- Locate and remove the old power supply.
- The power supply is typically located on the right side of most Williams pinball machines. The board will have a large heat sink on it.
- With the main power disconnected, unplug all connections from the power supply board. The plugs are uniquely keyed with special blocked pins to ensure you replace them in the correct locations.
- Unscrew the mounting screws on the old board and remove the board from the backbox. Save the screws for the new board.
- Install the PJ-8345-HV board.
- With the existing screws, mount the new PJ-8345-HV board into the existing holes.
- Reconnect all the plugs
- Verify Installation.
- (Optional) Remove the High Voltage fuse if using PinScore LED Displays
- PinScore LED displays do not use the high-voltage secton provided by the PJ-8345-HV.
- If your game uses PinScore LED Displays, you may remove the fuse labeled F1 to disable the high voltage power supply and reduce the risk of shock from the displays. Save this fuse with the game in case you decide to re-install the original plasma-style displays.
- Double-check all connections, plug in the machine, and turn the game on.
- The PJ-8345-HV LED voltage indications will illuminate to show proper operation of the input and output voltages from the board.
INSTALLATION NOTE:System 11 games use yellow four wire connector, System 6-9 Use J1.
- Play Pinball!
PinScore LED Displays
If your machine is using PinScore LED displays, you may choose to disable the high voltage section of the PinScore power supply. This will reduce the risk of electric shock. To disable the high voltage section, remove fuse F1 from the power supply board.
Important: Fuse F3 may need to be changed for certain games. Extra fuses are provided in the PJ-8345 retail kit. For all games, F3 is a "Slow-Blow" fuse designed to handle temporary power surges typical of solenoid circuits. F3 powers some solenoids. Some games with Auxillary Power Driver boards do not use F3.
The LEDs in the PJ-8345-HV indicate the presence of voltage and are a useful tool for troubleshooting a non-functional machine. If the LED is not lit, it can indicate a problem either with the PJ-8345-HV or the voltages supplying it. When the PJ-8345-HV is functioning correctly, all LEDs should be ON.
The +5V and +/- 91V circuits can shut down because of shorts. If the LEDs are on while other boards such as the MPU are disconnected but turns off when they are connected, there is a short present on that board.
PJ-8345-HV LED Chart
|D1||+91V Plasma Display|
|D2||-91V Plasma Display|
|D4||+18V Feature Lamps|
|D5||-12V Logic Supply|
|D10||+5V Logic Supply|
|D13||+12V Logic Supply|
The test points on the PJ-8345-HV provide another tool for troubleshooting and verifying correct voltages in the machine. The following table indicates acceptable voltages to be measured at the various test points located on the board. To use the test point, use a digital multimeter (DMM), with the black/ground lead connected firmly to a ground point such as mounting screw, and use the red/positive lead to check the test points. Make sure to set the multimeter to the correct range and voltage type (AC/DC) for a proper measurement.
Measured values should fall within the tolerance range specified in the Test Point chart. Values outside of these ranges could cause erratic game behavior such as intermittent resets or weak solenoids.
PJ-8345-HV Test Point Chart
|Test Point||Tolerance||Tolerance, V||Purpose|
|+5V||+/- 1%||4.95V, 5.05V||Logic Supply|
|+12V||+/- 3%||11.64V, 12.36V||Audio Supply|
|-12V||+/- 3%||-11.64V, -12.36V||Audio Supply|
|+91V||+/- 5%||86.45V, 95.55V||Plasma Display|
|-91V||+/- 5%||-86.45V. -95.55V||Plasma Display|
|+18V||+/- 5%||17.1V, 18.9V||Feature Lamps|
|+40V||+/- 5%||38V, 42V||Flipper Voltage|
|+40V||+/- 5%||38V, 42V||Solenoid Voltage|
The fuses on the PinScore power supply should not blow under normal operating conditions. If you find a blown fuse in your PinScore power supply, locate the problem before replacing the fuse. A blown fuse indicates a short elsewhere in the machine. Refer to the fuse chart to help locate where to search for the short. All PinScore fuses are rated at 250V.
Never substitute a fuse with a higher specified current (amperage) rating. This will void your PinScore warranty and create a fire hazard. If a fuse other than F3 blows repetitively, it is a problem elsewhere in your game.
If fuse F3 is blowing, verify the correct value fuse is installed as noted in the chart in the Installation section.
PJ-8345-HV Fuse Chart
|F1||3/8 A Slow-Blow||250V||Plasma Display Source*|
|F2||10 A Slow-Blow||250V||Flipper+ (FLPR+)|
|F3||2.5 A Slow-Blow||250V||Solenoid B+ (SOL_B+)**|
|F4||8 A Slow Blow||250V||+18V Feature Lamps|
|F5||4 A Slow Blow||250V||Logic, +/- 12V|
* Removal of F1 is recommended if using PinScore display systems
** F3 may need to be exchanged for a larger value in some games. See chart in the Installation section.
- Replaces Williams part number D-8345 Power Supply Assembly
All PinScore power supply products are covered by a 5-year, transferrable warranty. Should your power supply fail, contact your distributor for repair or replacement options. PinScore products will be repaired or replaced at the distributor?s discretion.
PinScore power supplies are a replacement product for aging pinball machines. While PinScore power supplies are carefully engineered to replace as many high-failure parts as possible and retain robustness, there remains a possibility that other parts of your machine may need to be repaired before your game will function correctly. These parts include but are not limited to your machine?s transformer, wiring, and fuses. The PinScore warranty does not cover damage caused by improper installation, faulty wiring, and incorrect aftermarket repairs.